Replace "http://www.burnhamformayor.co.uk"

Burnham For Mayor

Monday 29 April 2013

Supporting Motability

On Friday (26th April) I presented the keys of a new Motability car to constituent Sylvia White. The presentation took place at Victoria Garage Ford, Chapel Street, Leigh.

Shirley, 68, has cerebral palsy, and has very limited use of her legs.  She said: “I cannot praise Motability enough. I originally had a blue trike, but since discovering Motability in 1984 I have driven a range of vehicles through the Scheme.

“My new Fiesta has several adaptations, which allow me to completely control the car with just my hands. I have limited use of my legs, so these adaptations are vital when I’m driving.

“The service at Victoria Garage Ford was fantastic and I’m really happy to be collecting my Fiesta. Without the Scheme I would be completely house-bound, so I am very grateful to Motability.”

"I was honoured to be handing Sylvia the keys to her new car. It is great to see that Sylvia has benefitted so much from Motability, like many others across the country. The Scheme is vital for supporting personal mobility, and I am delighted to see how it is making a difference in my constituency.”

Declan O'Mahony, Director of Motability, commented: “Motability has now been operating for 35 years and continues to go from strength to strength. In times of change, we remain dedicated to enhancing the independence of people like Sylvia.”

The Motability Scheme is the UK’s leading car scheme for disabled people.  It provides affordable, convenient, trouble-free motoring to over 610,000 disabled customers and their families. Powered wheelchairs and scooters can also be financed using the Motability Scheme.

The Scheme is available to anyone who is receiving the Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance or the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement. Customers simply transfer their mobility allowance to Motability to lease or purchase a car, powered wheelchair or scooter.

The Scheme is directed and overseen by Motability, a national charity, which also provides financial assistance to customers, who would otherwise be unable to afford the mobility solution they need.

More information about the Motability Scheme can be obtained by telephoning 0845 456 4566 or online here.