Replace "http://www.burnhamformayor.co.uk"

Burnham For Mayor

Monday 14 November 2011

Annual Veterans Lunch

Mr John Seddon 
On Friday, 11th November I hosted my annual Veterans Lunch at Leigh Miners Welfare Institute, off Twist Lane.

Over 150 veterans joined with me to commemorate the contribution and sacrifice of Leigh's brave service personnel who have paid the ultimate sacrifice.

It was also a time of celebration, to pay thanks to the huge contribution that veterans make to the life of our town and I was especially pleased to present Mr John Seddon with his HM Armed Forces Lapel Badge to mark his contribution to his country in the RAF during the 1960s.

I was pleased to welcome the Mayor of Wigan, Cllr Joy Birch to the lunch and ward councillors from across the Leigh constituency.

I am very grateful to Richard Waterfield of Waterfield's Bakery and the new Leigh Tesco store for providing lunch and to the teachers and pupils of Lowton J&I who performed a selection of songs on the day.

Lowton J&I School
Finally, I want to also thank Leigh Miners for hosting the event which has been its home for the past seven years.

Arrangements are in hand already for the 2012 event which will be held on Friday, 9th November 2012.